the travel story that comes to mind this Mother's Day..
is the one that involves my kid.
While traveling to visit Brad's parents in North Carolina before he left for Korea in 2009, we decided to save money and drive from TX to NC. And we thought, what better way to save money - than bringing Bailey along instead of boarding her. She travels well in the car, and we thought she'd be ok in the hotel in her crate (since she's quiet in the house in her crate)
The first day went fine, we took Bailey to a picnic at a park.. she enjoyed the people and barking at the children that were playing near by. Then the next day we went out, she was tired - she slept most of the day..
All was going well, until...
The next morning when Brad and I left to grab Starbucks across the street. We got a frantic call from the hotel stating that we needed to come back and get our dog.
?? say what ??
So we go back, Brad drops me off in the lobby - I walk thru the doors. I can hear Bailey crying from our room in the middle of the hotel.. a pitifully sad whine, a scared high pitched bark.. echoing all thru the hotel.
I run to our room, only to find an older lady - banging on the door, yelling thru the door. "shut up you stupid dog!! shut up!"
When I come running around the corner, she asks me if that is my dog.. to which I say "yes, and you YELLING at her is not helping." she says "well, some people are trying to sleep".. I tell her that it's 10 am - she should be up anyways!
Long story short, the housekeepers were vacuuming and Bailey is terrified of vacuums. So we ended up taking her with us everywhere we went for the rest of the vacation. She enjoyed the view from her crate: on Brad's Mom's deck, and in his Dad's living room. She also went with us and slept in the car (with the windows open) enjoying the cool breeze, while we were digging for gold at the Gem Mine.
All in all, a learning experience. Tis better to board your beagle, than have a scared, shaking, terrified beagle.
No comments:
Post a Comment